Oregon Republicans Question court order blocking Trump Travel Pause
Wilsonville, OR - Oregon Republican Party (ORP) spokesman Kevin Hoar issued the following statement in response to the travel pause court order issued Friday night by Seattle Federal Judge Robart.
The judge's decision has just been issued and we're working to obtain more details to help evaluate what the legal credibility of the decision. Another Federal District Judge in Boston came to the opposite conclusion in response to much the same arguments. There are several significant questions to which we hope the media will join with us in trying to get answers:
- Is the federal district judge who issued this decision saying that, under the Constitution, he is authorized to decide the level of terrorist threat posed by foreign nationals from specific countries?
- What authority does a Federal District Judge have to force the President of the United States to admit people into the U.S. that the President believes may pose a threat to national security threat if they are not properly vetted?
- Is it also the case that a similar action taken by President Obama in 2011 was also unconstitutional? Were his actions to ensure that terrorists could not gain admittance to the U.S. not within his authority after two terrorists did gain entry?
- Is the judge's ruling saying that we have to wait to improve the vetting until terrorists get in and get caught, possibly only after killing Americans?
- All of this goes to these questions: Doesn't the President have the authority to direct the nation's foreign policy in order to compel other countries and person desiring entry to supply adequate information to the immigration authorities in order for our government to keep terrorists who are harbored and trained in those countries from entering our country? If not, then who does?
From media reports, it is our understanding the Trump Administration plans to request an immediate stay of Judge Robart's order and to defend the President's executive action as being both "lawful and appropriate" under his constitutional powers.
Friday 02/03/17–8:30 PM PDT
Contact: ORP Communications Director
email@example.com – (503) 902-4671